Dec 2, 2013

Things that can't be taught...

I've been thinking a lot about things that can't be taught.
Many of them can be learned, if we're paying attention, but taught...not really.
I am trying to figure out what makes some people act the way they do, (when I figure it out, there is bound to be a big prize, right?) and I'm having difficulty.
I am basically an optimistic fellow.  I try to remember that my life is really extraordinary, and most days, I am able to do just that.  Today wasn't one of those days.
Today I was crabby because I am surrounded by ingratitude, and that rubs off.  Funny that.  Someone else's attitude of ingratitude colors my day, and it always has.
A person that complains casts a pall like no other in my life.  I was raised around it, and it exhausts me.
THAT'S ENOUGH COMPLAINING...I'm finished.
I am trying to focus.  Focus on ideas and not people.  Focus on the future and not the past. Focus on yes and not no. Focus on gratitude.  It really all comes back to that for balance in my case.
I am grateful for a December that is filled with a lot of wonderful ways to share with the public the beauty of music associated with story, and this time it is in the form of Broadway's A Christmas Carol at our Theatre.
It gives Zachary the opportunity to be the King of Christmas.  A role he has aspired to since I met him.
The work that we do, builds community, and that is priceless.
I am grateful that my children asked Santa for very little, if anything, this year because they understand that they have everything they need and much of what they want.
I am grateful that most days, I am able to view this life as the adventure that it is.
I am grateful that each day is an opportunity to change for the better.  I feel like a change is due, and I want to be open to whatever it might be.
I've been working toward "letting go deeply" and that is requiring a shift in my consciousness.  I'm a hoarder of moments, of things and of feelings.
I'm trying to find the balance between remembering and obsessing, between forgiving and forgetting, between giving and accepting.
This has been a year of realizations.  One thing I've realized quite recently is that people will almost always disappoint. Once in a while, they will surprise you in a way that leaves you short of breath, and those are the moments that I'm going to try to cling to, and let the others go."Letting go deeply" is one of the things that can't be taught.  It is something that I am challenging myself to learn each day. Sometimes letting go deeply extends to relationships, no matter how old, or real, or important they might have been.
Things that can't be taught... are there any that come to mind immediately for you?
I get really "self examiney" at the end of the year. Can you tell?


No comments:

Post a Comment