Feb 21, 2009

The light goes on!

It came to me today, as I stood in the shower...where I have some of my best ideas!
I am not memorizing lines, I'm memorizing conversations.
I have so very many conversations memorized (ask anyone who has ever said anything dumb that I quote back to them each chance I get). Conversations are what life is really made up of. Do we agree, do we disagree, do we fight, do we pause to hear what the other person is saying or are we simply thinking up what we're going to say next?
The conversations we have are what makes us who we are. Fanny's conversations are created by Isobel Lennart, so the words are contrived. They are educated guesses about what Ms. Brice might have said to the people in her life. That makes the conversations about relationships. That is what I have to work on. What is the depth of the relationships that are written for this show. How far can we go with words on a page and people who are pretending?
I am not a pretender.
This is going to be weird.
I love my cast mates. It is my fortunate situation to be in a show with people that I really do love. My Nicky has been my friend for 10 years. I love him. I think he's handsome, and fancy and anytime I've ever asked him to help me out, he has done it. He has impeccable taste and he thinks I'm funny...He also thinks I look like a supermodel in German Vogue, so that makes me love him more.
My Mother, Rosie Brice is a new person in my life who I feel very deeply connected to. She is a mom who loves her only son more than anything else. I was her, at her age, so she is like a mirror into my young soul. She is talented beyond any measure.
She is beautiful, funny, and generous, the perfect mother, and for the next six weeks, she's mine.
The Eddie Ryan character is a deeply developed relationship for Fanny. My Eddie is a young man who could be my son, but he's not. I was immediately drawn to him because he's familiar. Come to find out, his mother is from a neighboring town to the one where I grew up. Regional coincidence and the age similarity between myself and his mother have created a bond between us. My very best friend is a man, so there is no problem for me relating to Fanny loving Eddie regardless of his opinion of Nicky, the great love of her life. A long time ago, I had a similar relationship that caused my best friend the same anxiety that Nicky causes Eddie, so that is a very sympathetic "love affair" that I can relate to. Aren't our friends right...almost always?

No comments:

Post a Comment