Feb 18, 2009

Real Rehearsal

I'd say last night was the first "real" rehearsal, for me. The dancers have spent a lot of time working on the big numbers, but Fanny had to work last night.
It was orientation with the set and some entrances and exits as we read thru the script up until the big "Henry Street" number.
I know Fanny Brice pretty well, so the challenge will be learning the script, as it's written and being true to the woman that she was, not a character I get to create.
It is a daunting task to have a dream come true. The challenge is before me, and I have no choice but to succeed.
Assuming the role of cast member is weird, too. I'm used to trying to help Anita keep the order in the court, so to speak, and this is no longer my task. It is an adult rep show, and the teens that are involved are great. We don't have any behaviour problems at F.I.R.E. It wouldn't be tolerated.
So I am going to try to find a way to be entirely present through this experience.
I plan to seize the day that I got to play the only role I ever thought I might be good at, and I'm going to work hard at doing justice to the beautiful score.
That's enough, for me.
Thanks in advance to all my cast mates who will bring these people to life and who will see the look of panic in my eyes every time I go up on a line. Help a mother out and don't laugh, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment