Jan 3, 2010

FOCUS


The word of 2010 is "Focus".

When I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer in November 2004, my world became clearly focused. I was in survival mode. That was all there was. I had a son in his senior year of High School and I had a 6 week old baby and two beautiful children in between not to mention a husband whom I adore. That was my motivation to survive and everyone on my "medical team" knew the goal and was in it for the win.

I remember the laser like clarity and I want to apply that to the life that I live each day. Oddly enough, I miss it.

I have had a recent health scare, and the answer to the question about my condition is still "up in the air"...(like George Clooney) so I have had to re"Focus" as I prepare for the coming year and how I will live the full, focused life that will allow me to accomplish the goal of raising this family and fulfilling the dream that I'm following at the Theatre.

As I relaxed over the break at our cabin in the woods, I kept coming back to that feeling of being 100% focused. I remember how my children looked when we told them Mommy was sick and it was a really bad kind of sick. I remember the trauma for Lucas when I lost my hair. I remember the first dose of chemotherapy and what I felt like, exactly. I was "fuzzy" but I was savoring the thought that those drugs were making me well, not making me sick. I never battled nausea or any of the side effects that go along with chemo and I believe that I have my "focus" to thank for that.

So...for this year, I will focus again. I might not have any battle ahead, but if I do, I will win it. I definately have a life to live in 2010 and all the fullness that entails. We are in production of West Side Story. One of the most ambitious shows to tackle in a "whitebread" community.
Next is The Wedding Singer, where I will watch Zachary shine and I will share the stage with him. My idea of heaven.
I will focus on the moment. The moment that the Overture starts, like I focused as the Overture started for Funny Girl.
I will focus on turning 45 the same week that I celebrate being married to my precious husband for 25 years.
I will focus on having two twelve year olds for 6 weeks before my precious first born daughter becomes a teenager.
I will focus on Rosey graduating from Mrs. Tully's class.
I will focus on getting to NY to see my friends.
I will focus on preparing a great season at F.I.R.E.
I will focus on nurturing my friendships that require more than I have been able to give lately.
I will focus on being the person that makes the world a better place.
I will focus on my vocation to be the mother of artists whether I've given birth to them, or not.
I will focus on living the life that I've been given to the fullest!

I have the ability to Focus, and when I do it, I feel completely alive.
So that is the word, everyone.
FOCUS.
I hope that if you're reading this, you consider one little word that might change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment