Aug 30, 2014

Saturday mornings are made for this...

There are fewer things better than a Saturday morning when the coming Monday is a holiday.

I sit here, at my little computer desk, typing away, knowing that I get an extra one of "these" this week.
Weekends are different during the school year than they are in summer.  The beginning of the Theatre Season coincides with Back to School, so the word "weekend" takes on a whole new meaning, anyway.
It's these Saturday mornings, when the house is quiet and I sip my coffee alone at my desk that I take a moment to be grateful for the weekend before me.

Last night was the first High School Football game of the Season.  Regan went there, in her car, no need for a ride from me anymore.  Milestones...
Lucas is forming a band with some of his friends from school, so he spends Fridays at all night Jam sessions, lately.
We have finally found a New York Style Pizza "joint" in a nearby town, so we hit it last night for pizza and beers to end our first full week of school.

Today is the North Carolina Apple Festival. It is part of what we do to welcome the Fall of the year and we'll attend.  It makes me want to wear boots and a sweater, but it is still 90 degrees in the shade in our region, so I'll use the Festival to whet my appetite for a visit to New York in October, where my boots and sweaters won't be so out of place. I'll stick with shorts and a t-shirt today.
Lucas has plans, so it won't be the five of us, just David, me and the girls.
Things are changing.
I was hoping for one more Apple Festival where we were "all together", but then I remember, Zachary has been gone for 9 years, so we haven't really all been together at the Apple Festival in a very long time.  "All together" means whomever we can gather, for the moment.
We are "all together" most Sunday evenings for dinner, and  that "all together" includes Mackensie, without whom, we can not be "complete".

So I guess, sitting here celebrating Labor Day Weekend, alone at my desk is appropriate.
As my family changes and goes on to lead lives that won't necessarily include me in all of  their plans, I'll be cooking up reasons for us to be "all together".
The trick is to make them want to pick apples in 95 degree heat, or eat funnel cake while sitting on the sidewalk near a grassy patch that is all filled with other funnel cake eaters.  Most of my schemes will be less elaborate than all that, and be limited to the Sunday morning text to Zachary, ("you coming for dinner tonight?") and hoping for the ("yes, of course,")reply.

Next Labor Day weekend, I'll be down another one. Regan will be at College.  So, this Saturday morning, in the quiet hours, *Rosey just walked in and turned on Sponge Bob* before anyone else awakened was made for this, thinking about the times when we are "all together" and appreciating every moment in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment