May 23, 2012

On the Day That You Were Born

...The angels got together.  You know the song.
It was Lukie's song  from the moment I laid eyes on him.
He was born chin first, a different kind of breach.  There was great distress and neo-natal team at the side of the bed as he was born and he was whisked away after hours of real fear that we could lose him as his face was hyper-extended and in no "position" to be born.
He was born, after the doctor told me, in my very quiet mild hysteria, which is my usual response to such dramatic circumstances, "You can do this," and I did it.
I have come to realize that it is my mild panic that allows me to focus on the crisis at hand, if it's a facial presentation at birth, a Stage 2b Breast Cancer Diagnosis, a Tumor the size of a Coconut in the abdomen of my four year old, I get focused and there is no more crisis, I've got it.  No matter what it is, it's within my grasp.  There is a moment when I decide, I've got this, and I do.
Lucas was the first conscious manifestation of that response..."fight or flight?"  I'm Irish. Enough Said.
I fight.
So there he was.  He was mistaken for the wrong baby by our African American Nurse who thought that he was not my child because he too, looked African American.  She questioned the delivery room nurse before she would move us to our room.  He was a funny shade of black and blue that would only intensify over the next few days before he turned that crazy brownish yellow that bruises turn before they disappear.
He transformed into the most breathtakingly beautiful baby by virtue of the contrast to his debut.
Lucas is a treasure.
He has been a joy to love since he got here, and I will always be grateful that I was able to provide Zachary with the baby brother that he silently longed for and Regan the protector that will be with her forever. My middle children have a bond that is unmistakable.
I celebrate this day as the day that I got my Bonus Boy.  That was fourteen years ago.
Don't ask me where that time has gone, but I do know it's gone.
I am blessed to know him, and the Bonus is, I'm his Mom.

1 comment:

  1. The girls take your mind and soul but the boys, they have your heart from the first second. It is impossible to describe but a mother of both knows the score. Happy day to Lucas. He is difinitely a treasure.

    ReplyDelete