Mar 26, 2009

Dress Rehearsal

Tonight is Final Dress Rehearsal for Funny Girl. It will be a welcome relief from last night, which I've decided was that disastrous rehearsal that happens during tech week for every show.
I am filled with anticipation...can I pull this show out of the ditch that it fell in last night?
I would feel better if I had three more weeks. I'd like it even better if I felt confident singing with the orchestra.
Tonight, I'm going to have to let all that go and work it out.
I love the story of Fanny Brice and Nicky Arnstein. It is a beautiful story about how love, even deep, great love, can fail. I have no doubt that Nicky was the true love of Fanny's life, but they were no good for each other.
Beautifully heartbreaking. It is beautiful because it was a gift to love a person that much. There are people who go their whole lives and never know that kind of love. I wonder if Fanny felt lucky to have loved Nicky.
I wonder how Nicky felt after he left Fanny. Did he think of her everyday? Did he let years pass and then turn up again, just to see if she still loved him? Was he even aware of the depth of the love she felt for him?
I can't help but think of these things as I walk through these scenes and pretend to be this complicated woman.
Love is a funny thing.
Life is a funny thing.
Funny...

No comments:

Post a Comment