Jan 21, 2009

A Brand New Day

Apropo of nothing having to do with Funny Girl, I must talk about Barack Obama.
I voted for Barack. It is the first campaign in my 43 years on this earth that I actually worked for. I made phone calls on behalf of our new President. That fills me with pride because I feel like I'm a part of something big.
Now....many people whom I love do not agree with my opinion about the state of our union.
I understand. No one needs to agree with me. My last President wasn't that popular among my friends either, but I loved him and I still do.
I am proud to be an American today. I am proud that we have overcome the racial divide to elect the most qualified candidate.
President Barack Obama has the potential to change the world. He has already changed our country.
I kept my children home to watch the day unfold. The greatness of a country with a seamless transition of power. As George W. Bush boarded the helicopter to depart our Capital, I felt the lump in my throat as I wished him a silent farewell, and Godspeed. He served our country to the best of his ability. He wasn't the leader I would have chosen, but he was our leader.
He managed to squander an enormous amount of goodwill, worldwide in the months and years following 9/11/01.
President Obama is faced with the same challenge. The world is watching. He has this unprecedented opportunity to lead this Country out of the current darkness and into a brand new day. The moment was one that I will never forget and I'm happy that Regan, Lucas and Rosey were here with me as he was sworn in. They really didn't care that much, but in ten years, when they're grown up they will remember being in their pajamas with me in the family room at 420 Rochester Road, Easley South Carolina when their Mother's guy was sworn in.
Mommy has a President again.
And anyone who knows me, knows that I eventually meet my President and Barack has no idea that I'm in his future~

No comments:

Post a Comment