Jun 9, 2013

Way Back When/Better Late than Never

This is a very old photo of the Grand Union in Wappingers Falls, New York.  This is a flashback that goes way back for me.  I was born in Brooklyn, New York, and my parents moved our family of 3 to the Hudson Valley in 1968.  My grandparents and many of my Uncles, Aunts and Cousins were already "upstate" as we called it.  We lived on Baxtertown Road in Fishkill when we first relocated.
My Grandfather, Jimmy Stapleton, Pop-Pop, as he was known to his grandchildren worked at this Grand Union.  He was perpetually friendly, happy and beloved.  He was one of the People that was known in the Village Of Wappingers Falls and I know now, that I am a grown up, that there are folks that go their whole lives and are never described as friendly, happy, or beloved.  I was a lucky granddaughter to have him for a Pop-Pop.
Another perk for having Pop-Pop as my own, was when my mother enrolled me in Wappinger's Play Group when I was about 3-4 years old  was that I met a friend who's Aunt worked with my Pop-Pop, so there was a level of familiarity with the two families. My Nanny & Pop-Pop would take me and pick me up from Play Group, so I guess a conversation ensued.  Well, that guy, who's Aunt Emily worked with Pop-Pop is still my pal, brother, person.  That was a result of the Grand Union Connection.
My dad worked part time jobs a lot when I was growing up.  One of those jobs was at this very Grand Union.  I remember my 10th High School Reunion where a young man that I had graduated with asked about my Dad.  I had forgotten that he had worked with him, but he didn't forget.  He asked about him and told me what a great guy my Dad was, and how much he enjoyed working with him back when we were in High School.  I remember being very touched by how fondly he remembered my Dad, and the Grand Union.
Another Grand Union connection.
I worked part time at that very store when I graduated from High School and was working as a Singer.  I needed a "real job" so I worked in the Deli Department, and I loved it!  About 25 hours a week waiting on people that wanted their cold cuts "just right" was a wonderful experience that has helped me with my Customer Service Skills that I still use all these years later.  If you can make an elderly Jewish lady happy with your treatment of her Kosher order, or the precise slices of the Lox, then you're on your way to a happy Customer Service Career!
I'll make a very long story short, and tell the thing I love most about this very Grand Union.
My husband found me there, or actually, I found him.
He had been on a crummy blind date and I met him through that disaster on a Friday night.  Of course I was with my best friend that I mentioned earlier, when I met David on that fateful Friday and we were out on the town.  I looked a lot different behind the Deli Counter on the following Monday when David walked in.
I have always been bold, so I refreshed his memory and told him that I was the friend of "miss mess" (I'll allow her to remain anonymous, although I've silently offered her my gratitude for the past 30 years)that he had met at "Berties"....another Way Back When.
I reminded him that I was much cuter than I looked in my deli hat, and he believed me.
After about 6 weeks of ham & cheese variations, he asked me out, after I told him that he'd better, because my tenure at Grand Union was ending that very night...I'd gotten a full time day job at Marshall's to supplement my Singing career,  and as they say, the rest is history.
Thank you Grand Union.  You were an incredibly large part of my formative years.
I was happy that I was able to capture this photo from a Facebook Page with old photos for the Hudson Valley.


No comments:

Post a Comment